Saturday 10 March 2007

Oh, what a magical world!

It is yellow, full of holes and in real world wouldn't survive for more than five minutes... What is it?

Having already spent two days in bed, surrounded by pills, antibiotics, tissues and a variety of hallucinations, I find myself in the pleasant position to announce that I have found a new, magical world. By now I have already watched about a full season episodes of SpongeBob Squarepants and about a dozen episodes of Southpark (yes, I know, these things are well known elsewhere but here in Greece showing cops beating students seems to be more interesting to show on TV).

What is it actually that makes a squarepants-kinda goofy-annoyingly happy sponge seem so lovable? Do audiences identify more easily with a character that looks familiar or with a character that is so different from them? Cause, really, Spongebob is like the child we once were only living in a simulation of the adults' world. And he actually makes it through pretty well in his pineapple house and his square pants and tie... Whereas, we adults, seem to be having trouble in the real world...

If only we could make it through by laughing and making bubbles! Maybe that's why he is so adorable. He is a reminder of how simple things used to be once upon a time. Goofing around with your best friend could make you forget all your problems and -most important- even though you always moved in a world of greedy-humorless-sly grown ups that had no impact on you, in a mysterious way!

So, Spongebob reminds me of how it used to be before everything turned out to be so complicated. And, just maybe, he is an adult's wish that he seems so adorable despite the misery he is in... Spongebob is actually giving someone the opportunity to find himself adorable even though he might be working for a few pennies or be so far away from what he really wants... And that's really something; when everything and everyone around us is trying to convince us that we are of no importance and we can have no impact on what's happening Spongebob is there to comfort us and carry us away in his magical-shiny bubbles...

Southpark is another story... A bunch of kids that in the real world would be what we call "punks" and would make any grown-up feel appalled by today's kids, but here they make us laugh... With what in real world would make us feel ashamed or cry. But this is another story...

I am going to blow my nose once again hoping that bubbles will come out of my ears and my eyes will twist... Oh, really, what a magical world!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SpongeBob Squarepants!!! I love it! In a way you are lucky spending days watching Bob and Patrick Star blowing bubbles and listen to the beloved music from Squidward Tentacles. Anyway, in the real world, i hope that you are well now.
It is really amazing that grown ups never truly grow up.That is hopeful. Sometimes hope is good enough. Keep on rocking on a real-magical world!

Unknown said...

Hope you are feeling better now... But there is still my unanswered question. Is Spongebob gay? Is he happy and adorable because of that? Is love complicated?

Funny to hear we were both ill on the same day... My pills were better though...

And its funny still to have questions about love while swimming around naked in my love pond...

industrialdaisies said...

@michael: If I want to be truthful in my approach to Spongebob my answer must be that this is not of my concern (as a viewer) since I managed to get in touch (via Spongebob) with a "self" long forgotten and buried, where "gay" didn't exist as a term apart from "gay=happy".
So in that way Spongebob is "gay", in a way that the "gayest" of us are not. And although even Spongebob is found in the middle of complicated situations (many of which he has miraculously caused) I think his simple, "gay" approach is the reason why he always ends up solving them and never be seriously troubled with whereas love is complicated. Innocence my friend; innocence (as credulity or harmlessness) may be one of the keys we are looking for...

@shrenk: Thank you, I feel better now. Ironic: I thought that my illness was due to a wisdom tooth growing, only to find out three days later that so far no wisdom teeth have grown in my mouth. A sign that this particular "grown up never truly grew up"? Hopeful, yes...